Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thinking about life, love, relationships, work, the entire spectrum of life.

Ok, so I know my last post was in June and I feel super terrible for taking so much time in between posts, but really, I have just had so many thoughts on my mind that I didn't know how to put them all down on paper - er computer.

My last 8 months in America have been exciting, stressful, memorable, nostalgic, filled with culture shock and all sorts of other emotions that I don't quite have the words for. Always with the inadequacy of language.

I always wish I had more words to express my emotions.... hence my love of languages. I feel like the more languages you know, the more you can express yourself.... even if only to those who can speak the language you are using... lol.

So I am working. I am working at an Orthodox Jewish school in Beverly Hills. It's swanky, and filled with the future movers and shakers of Hollywood and the rest of the world. I have the world's kindest boss. He's smart, introverted, kind, and gentle with his words. Stark contrast to the mean and evil man I was working for initially. I must say, working for Rabbi's are pretty cool.

I've learned all sorts of things about Orthodox Jewish culture, like men and women can't touch. When I hand things to my boss, I never put things into his hand. I hold one end and hand it to him with the other. Also, a lot of women cover their hair with wigs when they get married. They basically all practice Shabbat- so on Fridays at sundown they are all inside with their families doing Shabbat things. I have never personally been to Shabbat, but I know they eat a food called Cholent, which is like a stew made in a slow cooker. They can't use electricity or drive cars. Also, they can't cut things. This lasts for 25 hours, so my email is basically quiet until sundown on Saturday night. Also, contrary to popular belief, they don't all have beards. I know 2 rabbis who don't have beards.... My Rabbi (yes, I refer to him as my rabbi), and one of the younger rabbis in our school. Though, the beards are pretty cool.

I miss working directly with the kidlets, but it's nice to be in the atmosphere of school. I like the vibe of children playing and laughing. I also like the strange trouble kids find themselves in. The other day 3 boys came into the office because they'd *found* a stamp and decided it would be a good idea to stamp each other's faces. THEY HAD STAMPS ALL OVER THEIR FACES. It was glorious. Hilarious. Of course they got in trouble, but I had a hard time not laughing while they were being reprimanded.

Relationship wise, well I am still single. I was dating someone for a while... probably since about the time I got back to the states. He is a nice guy. I was really happy. He is a kind guy. A sweet boy. And I wish I was the type to move on easily and to not let my emotions linger... but I love completely... so breakups are always hard for me. I wish him happiness. There's so much to say about this, but probably not best for the blog.

Adjusting to life in the states has been difficult. It's been really hard for me to make friends here. Can you believe that? I'm SOOOO easy to get along with. lol. Actually no, I am super judgmental and I don't like a lot of people - I don't like most people easily, which is probably why I am having trouble making friends... The guy I was dating was basically the only friend I saw regularly.... sooooooooo now I am free a lot. lol. I don't know. Maybe it's just been too long since I've lived in LA. I don't know.

My sister had a baby. My niece got older. It's crazy. Things have been so rapidly changing.
                                                             Smelly Ellie.

                             **Not the best picture of Beka and I at the Cal/USC football game. lol. (SHES SO BIG NOW!!!!)

And of course, nothing would be complete without my old Japan friends and our monthly tin-cook. This last month we had a *friendsgiving* complete with a no oven challenge.
Everything was delicious (as always)!

I was kind of going through my facebook feed to see what I could find.... and I found this thing I wrote about myself a while back. I wrote it in 2009. It's on Facebook if you want to read the old one.... but I am going to do it again - without looking at the answers to see what has/hasn't changed in my life.

more facebook notes about meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
April 8, 2009 at 8:24am
My story - Finish the sentence...

Hi, my name is ... バルちゃん (baru-chan) or valberry

My eyes are... adorned with beautiful false eyelashes at the moment. =)
 Took this picture today. ^^

My status is ... forever single.

I want to have kids? as i get older, i think the chances are getting slimmer.

I wish I were... in a different place in my life right now.

Currently I am... trying to figure out my life.

I Love... many people and many things. love is a big part of who i am. i wish we all loved more.

Never in my life have I been to... england, and that makes me sad! T_T

My favorite animal is... my little chibi.
Really though, isn't he adorable????!!!

My favorite color(s) is(are): still black, grey, and dark purple.

My Pet Peeve(s): fake people. people who run away because they are afraid. weak people. there's a long list. lol.

Right now... i'm thinking of all the things I need to do (with my life), and all the things I want to do with my life.

The one person who can drive me nuts is... no one really drives me nuts right now....

When I'm nervous... i clean. like seriously. i can't stop cleaning.

The last song I listened to was... requiem in d minor- mozart. yes, i am pretentious.

If I were to get married today... my family would be relieved. lol.

My hair is... long and black.

When I was 4... my sister had just been born. <3

My mom... is happier now. i used to worry about her a lot.

My dad... is dead. his life was tragic. and today, for the first time in a long time, i picked up the phone to call him... and realized i couldn't. T_T

Last Christmas... i was coming home.

I should be... cleaning. anxiety and all.

When I look down... i see my sleeping puppy.


The happiest recent event would be... when I went to the fair. that was the best night i've had since i've been back.
Pretending to eat a jumbo corn dog.... ^_^;;

And this: 
My prized possession: Jumbo CornDuck.


My current annoyance is... noisy americans.

There's this girl I know... who i really wish i could secretly medicate.

The thing I want to buy is... a plane ticket.

If you visited the place I'm from... you'd run in fear. lol

The most recent thing I've bought myself... a lamp.

The most recent thing someone else bought me was... curry and miso soup. i felt loved.
It was delicious. I wish I had more. T_T

If I was an animal I'd be... bobby once told me he thought i'd be a squirrel if i was an animal. i think he might be right.... but I'd want to be a black squirrel. ^^

Yesterday I... worked too much.

Last night I was... sleeping through the rain.

Tomorrow I... will try to think better thoughts.

Tonight I am... gonna clean. lol.

My favorite piece of jewelery is... my grandmother's or my grandfather's wedding ring.

My favorite shoes: boots i bought in japan. sooooo cozy!

I am looking forward to... cori coming to town. <3


The ones that know the most about me are... james, bobby, cori, ryota, go, maki, oscar, and laura. So I am thankful for your guys and all that you've done for me lately. I miss all of you guys daily, hourly, by the minute even. <3

----------------------

In reading my old entry (from 2009), I noticed the following:
- Well, I guess I am not so focused on Kanji anymore. lol. That's a plus.
- My father has since passed. That sucked.
- I kinda still want to be a sparkly vampire.

Lot's of "sah's" in my life currently, but I am optimistic that life will get better slowly but surely.

one day at a time. <3 me.


No comments:

Post a Comment